Did you know...?
- ...that the invasive green alga Codium has many interesting common names such as Sputnik Weed, Dead Man's Fingers, Oyster Thief, and our personal favourite: Broccoli weed!...Yum!
- ...that the invasive green alga Codium is called oyster thief because it can settle and grow on top of an oyster, and it may grow to be so big that during a storm event it will get washed away and carry the oyster away with it!
- ...that a bush of Codium is all one cell!
- ...that in Asia the Chinese mitten crab is considered to be a delicacy! Mmm...mmm...
- ...that the invasive European green crab is sometimes referred to as the "cockroach of the sea" because they can live in so many different types of environments! Scientists in Cape Breton are investigating green crabs living in the Sydney Tar Ponds!
- ...that green crabs use chemical senses to detect and direct themselves towards food!
- …that it only takes one drop of water with a single cell of rock snot to colonize an entire waterway! That's why recreational fishermen should clean their gear and dry it thoroughly if they have been in an area where rock snot is found before going fishing in one of our local streams.