New Campaign to Stop the Spread of Aquatic Invaders!
- Prince Edward Island Aquaculture Alliance (PEIAA) launched a new campaign to raise awareness about the spread of Aquatic Invasive Species entitled "STOP THE SPREAD OF AQUATIC INTRUDERS"
Invasive Species Web Portal
- To celebrate the United Nations' International Day for Biological Diversity, the Government of Canada is now offering Canadians an online gateway to information on invasive species. To explore the web portal visit: www.invasivespecies.gc.ca .
Invasive Alien Invaders in the News!
- World's Coastal Waters Riddled with Invasive Species - Environmental News Service (this is a media release of "Assessing the Global Threat of Invasive Species to Marine Biodiversity" by Jennifer Molnar)
- Sea squirts are being used in brain implant studies! - BBC Science News
- Aquatic Alien Thugs to Meet! - Non-native crayfish and Chinese mitten crab set to meet in UK waterway (BBC Science News)
Scientific Articles about Invasive Alien Species
- Access related journal articles - USDA
- Downloadable global databases of marine invasive species (Nature Conservancy)
Other Interesting Science Links
- Tunicate web portal
- A global map of human impacts to marine ecosystems - National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis (USA)
- Gulf of Maine Council on the Marine Environment - Interactive Map for the Ecosystem Indicator Partnership (this takes a few minutes to load)
- In Dead Water - A report on global warming, pollution, and over-harvesting on the world's key fishing grounds; United Nations Environment Program
- Brian Coad and Don McAllister's Dictionary of Ichthyology
- www.northeastans.org - The NEANS (Northeast Aquatic Nuisance Species) panel has information about aliens in the Northwest.
Cape Breton Island News Websites
- CBC Nova Scotia: Going Coastal - exploring issues surrounding Nova Scotia's threatened coastline (they're seeking your input)
- CBC Radio: Information Morning Cape Breton - Great radio program that often features environmental topics (and so much more!)
- Rising Tide Expeditions - Gabarus, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia
- Geocaching - The Official Global GPS cache hunt site
- Rise Above Plastics - An interesting website that encourages everyone to reduce their plastic footprint!